We’ve got big plans to keep up the pressure for a bold, just Green New Deal. With Presidential hopefuls announcing their candidacies and the new Congress taking office, we’re working with dozens of partners to build on our momentum and make a bold, unmistakable call for real climate leadership!
Here’s the plan: From February 4th to 8th, activists will deliver hundreds of thousands of petition signatures to members of Congress at in-person events across the country. We’re demanding that our leaders embrace a Green New Deal to phase out fossil fuel production, take on big polluters, and ensure a just transition to a 100% renewable energy economy where all of us can thrive.
A broad coalition is working together on this Week of Action to send a strong signal to Congress. We demand a Green New Deal, and we’re asking our Representatives to:
- Halt all new fossil fuel extraction, infrastructure, and subsidies, and transition power generation to 100% renewable energy by 2035 or sooner;
- Rapidly decarbonize agriculture and transportation sectors and expand access to public transportation;
- Ensure a Fair & Just Transition led by impacted workers and communities, including low income and communities of color, without relying on corporate schemes or market-based mechanisms;
- Uphold Indigenous Rights; and
- Pass a national jobs guarantee, creating good jobs with collective bargaining and family-sustaining wages.
We’ve already seen the power of activists mobilizing in the halls of Congress – and now we’re building on that success and keeping up the pressure back home. It’s up to all of us to make sure that our leaders listen to the people most impacted by climate change and embrace the bold, just climate action we need to keep fossil fuels in the ground and invest in our futures, not business as usual from Big Oil.
We hope you can join us! If you aren’t able to make it to an action next week, we’ll be providing other ways to get in touch with your members of Congress, and to spread the word to your networks about the real climate leadership that’s needed to phase out the fossil fuel industry and invest in a brighter future.