FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 27, 2019
David Turnbull, david [at] priceofoil.org
Collin Rees, collin [at] priceofoil.org
Joe Biden, Michael Bennet become 19th and 20th signers of No Fossil Fuel Money pledge in 2020 Democratic field
Today, former Vice President Joe Biden officially signed the No Fossil Fuel Money pledge, becoming the 20th of 24 major Democratic candidates for president to sign the pledge. Senator Michael Bennet also signed the pledge on Tuesday evening, becoming the 19th presidential candidate signer. In response, David Turnbull, Strategic Communications Director of Oil Change U.S., released the following statement:
“We congratulate Vice President Biden and Senator Bennet for signing the No Fossil Fuel Money pledge and for this example of climate leadership that prioritizes people over polluters. Rejecting the fossil fuel industry’s money has become standard practice among Democratic presidential contenders, and not a moment too soon.
“At the first Democratic primary debates, 18 of the 20 candidates onstage have committed to reject dirty money from fossil fuel executives, lobbyists, and corporate PACs. We are already seeing candidates across the field translate that bold stance against Big Oil into policy proposals and Day One actions that are appropriate in ambition and scale to our unfolding climate emergency. Ending the fossil fuel industry’s expansion, removing its billions in taxpayer subsidies, and kickstarting a managed transition that puts workers and communities ahead of polluter profits — these are the hallmarks of real climate leadership.”
Notes to Editors:
– Former Vice President Biden is the 20th major presidential candidate to sign the No Fossil Fuel Money pledge. A confirmation of Biden signing the pledge can be found here: https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1144357988523659264
– Senator Michael Bennet was the 19th major presidential candidate to sign. A confirmation of Bennet signing the pledge can be found here: https://twitter.com/NoFossilMoney/status/1143929545516617729
– The full list of presidential signers can be found here: http://nofossilfuelmoney.org/presidential-signers/
– The four remaining major Democratic presidential candidates who have not signed the pledge are Governor Steve Bullock, former Rep. John Delaney, former Gov. John Hickenlooper, and former Rep. Joe Sestak.
– The pledge is coordinated jointly by the No Fossil Fuel Money coalition, of which Oil Change U.S. is a member.